Thursday, November 11, 2010

Weeks 9&10. Bowling hazards.

Last week, Varsity took his game on the road and sent dispatches from the Wild West of bowling exploits involving FROSTY BEER MUGS and 14 pound balls with more comfortable finger holes. Finger holes are vitally important, as we've learned by now, thanks to Flo's technically edifying posts and emails. Ball weight is clearly key, as well, as illustrated last week!


Speaking of ball weight, it has been the cause of a bowling team casualty. (Although it could be argued that woeful weakness and muscle disuse factor in.) Al is on the Disabled List, following a repetitive strain injury from swinging the 8-pounder 60 times per Sunday night for the past two months. Where is the training staff when you need them?


This raises the pressing need for a replacement team member. It could be you...basking in the glory of high scores, high-fiving with passion, tossing back beers and Lane fare from the fry-a-lator, and getting to know a whole cast of endlessly interesting bowlers assembled weekly just miles from your regular life. 


So, spice it up! Let us know! We're cool people! Oh, and... we're desperate!

7 comments:

  1. Oh how sad! An injury. I wish I was close enough to fill in, to plug the proverbial hole. As desperation mounts, I hope y'all don't stoop so low as to start trolling dive bars, back alleys and gutters for a temp hurler. Then again, you meet every Sunday is just such an establishment, don't you?

    You may want to check out the local Waffle House. Do Waffle Houses even exist in MA? If you need enlightenment, look for the lyrics by Truckstop Honeymoon.

    Good luck with the quest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil, you forget we are in Cambridge. Cambridge, MA. We aren't in KS anymore. Our bowling alley is filled with Ivy League grads and over achievers. Last week I spoke with two separate individuals who, upon finding themselves out of work, did what every self respecting bowler with free time on their hands with do ... hire a bowling coach to perfect their game. Just think, two months ago I had no idea I could hire a bowling coach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know where you find a bowling coach? I mean a REALLY good bowling coach? At a Waffle House. Or you could find one at Poot's Bar in downtown Winona, MN. In fact, you could probably find a sub at Poot's...

    Just think: Two months ago I wasn't reading this blog. In fact, I wasn't reading ANY blog. This is the first blog I've ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phil, you are a champion blog reader. In fact, I think you're actually a blog poster. Fabulous follow-up to The Edge's Sub call. WYWH. Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. Except I don't know what WYWH means. Is that a radio station in your parts? Wishing You Whole Ho-hos? Blog poster? Vying for blog poster boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok...camped out on the blog tonight...taking turns watching the Ravens-Falcons game and reading Bill Bryson's new book, At Home: A Short History of Private Life (infinitely more interesting than the game). But of note: I just learned that the largest drive-in in the U.S. is in Atlanta. It's name? VARSITY! A coincidence? I think not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how vicariously I live through your bowling league. I have a ball and a very..inept bowling husband. I would join you in a heartbeat if I could.

    ReplyDelete